help~~~ some vocabs

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Sep 8 13:19:12 EST 1997

In article <3413A749.740 at sprynet.com>, Shawn  <sjean at compuserve.com> wrote:
>I'd appreciate it very much if someone can mail me about the meaning of
>below terms, as well as the meaning of the word roots:
>
>Basidiomycetes
>Ascomycetes
>Commensalism
>
>Thank you very much

The dictionary is your friend:

% webster
Type ? for help.
Word: basidiomycete
ba-sid-i-o-my-cete n. A fungus of the class Basidiomycetes, which includes
  the mushrooms, puffballs, and other fungi that bear spores on a basidium.[
  NLat. Basidiomycetes,  class name: basidium+ Gk. mukes,  fungus]-ba-sid'i-
  o-my-ce'tous adj.

Word: basidium
ba-sid-i-um n., pl. -i-a A club-shaped cell characteristic of
  basidiomycetous fungi on which sexual spores, usually four, are borne at
  the tip.[NLat. <Lat. basis,  base <Gk]-ba-sid'i-al adj.

Word: ascomycete
as-co-my-cete n. Bot. Any of numerous fungi that produce spores in an
  ascus.

Word: ascus
as-cus n., pl. as-ci Bot. A membranous sac in certain fungi, containing
  ascospores.[NLat. <Gk. askos,  bag]

Word: commensalism
com-men-sal-ism n. Biol.  A relationship in which two or more organisms
  live in close association and in which one may derive some benefit but in
  which neither harms or is parasitic on the other.

Word: commensal
com-men-sal adj. 1. Of or pertaining to those who customarily eat at the
  same table. 2. Biol.  Of, pertaining to, or characterized by
  commensalism.-n. 1. A customary mealtime companion. 2. Biol.  An organism
  participating in a commensal relationship.[ME <Med. Lat. commensalis  :
  Lat. com-,  together + Lat. mensa,  table]-com-men'sal-ly adv.