Lichens...?

Kellie_Bonnici kbonnici at ivory.trentu.ca
Tue Sep 16 11:45:45 EST 1997

I'll be straight forward with y'all - the following questions are to help me
out with my homework!

I've known for a while that lichens are composed of genera from two different
phyla. Now, are these phyla cyanobacteria and chlorophyta OR cyanobacteria and
fungi, OR am I way off base all together?

That's my main important question, mostly because I *have* known the answer in
the past (and since forgotten) and because I find symbiosis very interesting
... (well, it's on the lab assignment too, but the most interesting questions
come first!). I have two more questions which I'm stumped on (cuz I can't
afford the text yet, and the damn library has hardly any botany texts more
current than 1976, and terminology, classification, etc, etc *do* change over
20 year periods!!!)

#1 what are endosymbionts? name a member of chlorophyta which is an
endosymbiont and its host.

#2 how does a unicellular green alga differ from a bacterium?

So, this is probably bad netiquite, I appologize for that. If anyone is
interested in helping me out with this, I'd really appreciate it.

TIA

Kellie