Amaryllis bulb with red streaks

James Yorton jjy at xnet.com
Sun Sep 21 11:42:53 EST 1997

My amaryllis did not flower this year.  Last winter (indoors) I noticed
it had reddish/maroon streaks and blotches on the bulb.  When placed outside
during the summer it grew several leaves and some of the developed those
same streaks of color in the leaves.

Is this a virus?  Should I throw it out?  Or will it bloom again?
It was fed regularly and placed where it got about 6 hours of direct
sunlight.

I got it in autumn of 1995 and it bloomed in spring 1996, but nothing
in 1997.

Should I try to force it into a dormancy or keep watering it during
winter and hope for blooms?

Jim Yorton           USDA Zone 5; Sunset Zone 41;    Northeast IL USA
jjy at xnet.com                                 http://www.xnet.com/~jjy
Tropical Plant Page:                  http://www.xnet.com/~jjy/plants