venation patterns

Karsten Meyer meyek002 at mail.uni-mainz.de
Thu Sep 18 04:53:08 EST 1997

Hello Theresa,

What do you mean by "smaller plants"? Herbs and grasses, or shrubs?
Iit is well known that acid rain affects the plant communities: Some
plants, especially sedges (Carex), rushes (Luzula), and grasses (Poaceae),
are more tolerant to the high soil acidity caused by acid rain. Therefore,
the herbaceous undergrowth in forests with acidic soil is mostly grassy
with many rushes and sedges. All three groups are monocotyledones with
parallel venation.

Hope that helps,
Karsten

--
Karsten Meyer
Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Mainz