oak tree germination?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Sep 25 16:27:03 EST 1997

Dot Parsons wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 21:39:02 GMT, binaryboy at intouch.bc.ca wrote:
>
> >what are the chances of me germinating an oak tree from an acorn from
> >an oak tree down the street? at what period during the acorn's
> >development would be best for planting? does it have to experience
> >cold before it will start to grow? how wet? fertilizers? ETC???

Collect your acorns and float them in water, keep the ones that sink,
throw the floaters out.  Stick em out in the yard (plant them) and thin
the ones that come up.  Or, try stratification in flats, and spend your
time keeping moist, but not too, and transplant the seedlings in the
spring when they come up, and worry about bugs.
--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/