Nerd homeowner needs help on fruitplants

Joe Knoll jknoll at csinet.net
Tue Sep 30 17:11:55 EST 1997

>... Is there a drawback?  What are the best fruits to plant? (I live in
Grand
> Rapids Mi) Any and all advice would be much appreciated. (It'll also keep
> my wife from spending all our budgeted money on her goofy plants)

	The downside to growing edible landscaping is that it requires care just
like the non-edible kind.  However, I have been growing fruit trees for
several years, and the rewards do outweigh the work.  Fruit trees require
pruning and spraying, and of course, you won't get any fruit for a few
years.  Buying disease and pest resistant varieties can reduce the amount
of spraying, and most fruit trees come in dwarf forms that only reach about
7 feet tall so pruning and care are easier and the tree won't take up too
much space.
	Since I live in Northern Indiana, my climate is similar to yours.  I've
had best luck with peaches, and apples.  Most mail-order catalogs are a
good way to shop for plant varieties.  The good mail-order companies will
include a booklet with your order about how to plant and prune your trees
properly.
	If you're not quite ready to invest in trees yet, try strawberries,
they're easier to care for and you'll get fruit faster.
	Joe K.