pcr on plant genomic

Mark Spanevello deletethismark at trishul.sci.gu.edu.au
Tue Sep 30 18:42:42 EST 1997

Martin Goodson wrote:

> hello all,
>
> I've heard that PCR on plant genomic DNA has specific diffulties not
> encountered with the DNA of other organisms. Do you know anything
> about this
> or other problems in the molecular biology of plants (Reverse
> transcription
> etc.)?
>
> martin goodson

 I have had some problems amplifying DNA from sediments with high
organic (plant) matter.  The problem I have found out is due to residual
humic acids present in the final DNA prep.  I think this tends to be the
major problem with amplifying DNA extracted from plant matter as well.
If you follow a protocol that removes the humic acids, you should have
no problem.  Here are a couple of references, I hope you find them
helpful...

Tebbe, C.C. Vahjen, W.(1993) Interference of humic aciods and DNA
extracted directly from soil in detection and transformation of
recombinant DNA from bacteria and yeast. App. & Env. Microbiology
59(8):2657-2665

Tsai, Y-L, Olson, B.H. (1992) Rapid method for separation of bacterial
DNA from humic substances in sediments for polymerase chain reaction.
App. & Env. Microbiology 58(7):2292-2295

--
Mark Spanevello

(to reply, remove "deletethis" from email address)

Faculty of Science and Technology
Griffith Univeristy
Nathan Campus
Nathan, Qld, Australia,  4111

Ph:  (07) 3875-7622
Fax: (07) 3875-7656

email : M.Spanevello at sct.gu.edu.au
        mark at trishul.sci.gu.edu

HTTP://trishul.sci.gu.edu.au/~mark/index.html