Help Identify Plant

Dee_Lamzaki at email.msn.com Dee_Lamzaki at email.msn.com
Thu Apr 2 18:21:24 EST 1998

Hello everyone,

I was hoping you might be able to help me identify an interesting
plant.  It has a trunk that looks very similar to a Philodendrum
selloum's, rubbery with scars from where old leaf stalks were
attached.  The growth comes from a dense circular dome of green
stalks from the top of the "trunk", each tipped with a single green
leaf that is fingered similarly to a selloum as well, except this
plant's leaves are not nearly as shiny as a selloum's and are more
delicate.  The largest plant I saw was about 3 or 4 feet tall(1.2 m).
It has an elaborate flower stalk that consists of woody branches
covered with five-petaled purple flowers.  In the plants with
trunks the flower stalks were very large and complicated, but
even the young plants with no trunks had flowers, although very
few in number and without the elaborate branching structure.
They are flowering right now and are growing outdoors in California
(I mean as a planted exotic not a wild native species),
if anyone can give me the scientific and/or common name for this
plant or has any idea what it is I'd really appreciate it.

If you would prefer to email me directly my address is

Dee_Lamzaki at email.msn.com

Thanks.