Why are Acacias so named?

SAITANIS tsir at aurora.eexi.gr
Thu Apr 2 19:26:37 EST 1998

David Deutsch <dd at gondwana.org> wrote in article
<dd-0104981611140001 at modem64.win2.elite.net>...
> In article <6fu2lf$3sp$1 at gnamma.connect.com.au>, "plantwest"
> <nreese at nrg.com.au> wrote:
>
> > the name acacia comes from the greek word for thorn - this is because
> > African acacias have thorns on their trunks. I have not seen any
Asutralian
> > acacias with thorns though.
>

> Hmmm I always thought the name came from the fact that they only
> accasionally had thorns...
>
> David Deutsch

opps!!!

(1).
The word acacia in greek is written akakia and the pronounation is exactly
the same.
This  is a composed word: a-kakia where (a-) means not having and  (kakia)
means malice, badness, spite, etc.
By other words akakia means kindness, benevolence, gentleness, goodness.

(2)
The word akakia in greek means also the tree acacia. Acording to my greek
dictionary in the case of the tree the word akakia comes from the word
<aki> that means nid, peak, snaft, thorn, needle, pin, etc.

Costas (Greek)