Infared Light--Does it grow plants?

Mon Apr 6 09:24:55 EST 1998

At 3:11 PM -0400 4/4/98, A Hawkins wrote:
>I was curious if the Krebs Cycle can use infared light to complete all
>the light reactions.   For those who know a little about electronics I
>was thinking about an expiriment using Infared LEDs (Light Emitting
>Diodes).   Thanks for any help.
>
>Regards,
>
>A Hawkins

The Krebs Cycle does not respond to light...neither
does the Calvin Cycle.  The light reactions, which
drive the Calvin Cycle, do respond to light over the
visible spectrum.  A look at an "action spectrum" in
a textbook would show a classic drop in photosynthetic
rate as the wavelength goes toward 700 nm.  Beyond 700
nm there is no rate because photons of that type have
insufficient energy to drive the quantum leap of the
electrons in chlorophyll.  Infrared LEDs emit well
beyond 700 nm typically, and with essentially no
bleeding below 700 nm, so the rate of photosynthesis
should be 0.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479