Hybrids

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Tue Apr 7 17:34:48 EST 1998

It may be true if one parent was diploid (2 sets of chromosomes) and the other
was tetraploid (4 sets)--in this case, the offspring has 3 sets, and is likely
sterile.  If, on the othe hand, both parents have the same number and size
chromosomes, a hybrid *may* be fertile.  There are chromosome number indices
on the web in various places--if you know the parents, you may be able to find
information that will help.

M. Reed