Grafted cactus

cgrelard at buromatic-royer.fr cgrelard at buromatic-royer.fr
Thu Apr 9 03:43:12 EST 1998

In article <01bd634c$53860bc0$f3c32581 at jill-s-computer>,
  "Jill " <bite at spam.com> wrote:

> I bought a small grafted cactus. When I bought it, it was a bright, lush,
> red color. (the stem that it is grafted on looks similar to an aloe kind of
> cactus). Now it looks as though it's dying. It is turning a brownish yellow
> color. What is causing this? Overwatering? or not enough sunlight? I only
> water it when the dirt is BONE dry.
>
> How can I remedy it? Is there any way to save ti at this point?

There are 3 reasons possible:
- to much sun light. Your grafted cactus is a gymnocalycium thos cacti don't
like a direct sunlight but want light! (better place is behind a east
oriented window).
- the temperature is too low. gymno are often grafted on hylocereus who need
more then 10-12°c
- or effectively overwatering, but i don't think if you effectively wait for
a complete dry out

chance to save it : if the boby is "soft" (i don't find the exact word), not
hard in fact I think it will be very difficult (impossible). If the boby is
hard (just the color as change) put it out of direct sunlight at 18-20°c,
don't give it water during 2 or 3 weeks but use a spray time to time and
wait...
good luck

Christophe GRELARD
Caluire, France