I need help ASAP

George Liakopoulos karab at auadec.aua.ariadne-t.gr
Fri Apr 10 03:41:14 EST 1998

Hi, here you are:
 1) removing the leaves of plants after transplanting helps the plant to
survive.

Because you reduce leaf surface, thus you reduce water loss. When you
transplant, root hairs are destroyed, so water supply isn't adequate.

2) why experts in flower arranging advise recutting the stems of flowers
while holding them under water.

Because when you cut the stem, due to negative pressure, air bubbles enter
from the cutting and bloke the vains (you have a brake in water column
inside the vains).

3) Why some florists add ordinary table sugar to the water in which cut
flowers are placed and why the flowers will subsequently remain fresh for
several weeks.

Well, I think it has something to do with oncrement in osmotic pressure of
the solution where you store the cutted plants/flowers. I am mot sure . . .
. .

Regards,

G. Liakopoulos