I would like some advise

Dennis G. Dennis_Goos at mindlink.net
Mon Apr 13 00:59:47 EST 1998

"Catalina Cirstoiu" <barbutu at euronet.nl> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have been trying to slip my BUXUS SEMPERVIRENS using 'ordinary' soil in
>various temperature conditions (i.e. in- and outside). This hasn't been a
>succes so far. Is there anyone who can help me on this matter.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Jos Denis

In our production, we use half hard wood cuttings in the fall for preference and
keep them on the bench at 65f soil temp. for the winter. It is not unusual for
the cuttings to take 6 months to root so be patient. Green wood can root more
quickly but the loss ratio increases. Boxwood can be done outside, without heat
in well drained beds or moistened sand. Extreme care with watering will increase
success rate. A cutting needs a minimum of water, especially during the
'dormant' season,  until it begins to grow.
You would find Buxus microphyllus varieties quicker to root.
Dennis Goos
Abbotsford,BC