Indigenous Cycads, Bulbs, Pelargoniums and Succulents from South Africa

Cape Flora donovan at bsw.co.za
Tue Apr 21 08:23:30 EST 1998

                               CAPE FLORA
               http://www.radley.net/capeflora/index.html

Cycads are well represented in South Africa by over 30 species in the
Genera of
Encephalartos and Stangeria. They are known as "Living Fossils" and go
back millions of
years. Their habitat varies from arid semi-desert to sub-tropical forest
regions.

Cycad plants are supplied both as seedlings and as offsets. Many of the
rarer varieties
are available as offsets from collections which we purchase. Cycads are
sent to our
customers by air-freight or parcel post. They are listed as endangered
species and so
require Cites documentation which we arrange on behalf of the customer.

Cycads make excellent feature plants in the garden as well as ideal
container-plants, and
are easy to grow. Varieties which are more cold-hardy as well as
warmer-growing
species are available.

Most people are aware that Cycads are endangered species and trade in
specimen plants
is prohibited except to Botanical Institutions. Professional Commercial
Nurseries may
only deal in seed-grown or garden-propagated plants (usually with
caudexes less than
15cm in diameter). We are fully aware of this at Cape Flora and all our
plants carry
official Cites permits. We most certainly do not deal in field-collected
plants. We enjoy a
large clientele who are happy to purchase seed-grown or
artificially-propagated plants
and as such help to conserve the plants in their natural environment. We
have many
customers who testify that their cycads are flourishing far from sunny
South Africa!
Many of our cycad plants have been produced from our
artificially-garden-pollinated
stock plants in the Nursery garden, thus there is no need to rely on
plants in the wild.

Visit us on the Web for more information

[tnEncephalartos longifolius.jpg (1873 bytes)]

[tnEncephalartos transvenosus.jpg (2289 bytes)]

 Cape Flora Nursery, PO Box 10556, Linton Grange, Port Elizabeth, South
                              Africa, 6015
   Tel: +27 41 732096, Fax: +27 41 733188, Email: capeflor at iafrica.com
                     http://www.radley.net/capeflora