How do I Dry Sunflowers?

knots at knots at
Tue Apr 21 19:15:27 EST 1998

For use in dried flower arrangement, harvest at peak of beauty. If
you are growing single headed sunflowers, I would pull the entire
plant out of the ground, shake soil off root-ball (this will speed
drying process because roots will draw moisture from the rest of the
plant), and hang dry place * with good air circulation.* If you are
growing multi-headed sunflowers, you will want to pick flower with a
long stem as they mature to your satisfaction. Again, tie 2 or 3
together with string, about an inch from the bottom, and hang
upside-down until thoroughly dry.

I have never dried sunflowers for use in flower arrangements, only
for seed harvest. I wonder how the flower petals hold up to drying.
Good luck.