Plant Mites

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 21 10:31:53 EST 1998

Bob Muskie wrote:

> Plant mites...
>
> I noticed on the wifes plants little (real little) spider web
> like mites...
> any body know how to get rid of the little mites....
> Bob
> muskybob at sprint.ca

These are red spider mites, and can destroy your precious plants very
quickly. I think one of the recommended treatments is to spray with
malathion at regular intervals (to get newly hatched eggs) until the
problem disppears, but the little beasties are often resistant to the
insecticide. There is a biological control method (a parasitic wasp)
that works well in a green house situation where the aim is to keep the
problem under control, rather than eliminate it. It's often suggested
that keeping the humidity high helps to control the mites, but we
haven't found this at all effective.

Andy

 Email : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Phone : +44-1275-549257            : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Fax   : +44-1275-394281            : Long Ashton, Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW   : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/molbiol.html