Need staining technique for guard cells

Samuel M. Scheiner icsxs at mssg1.west.asu.edu
Wed Apr 22 13:18:56 EST 1998

I need help in finding a protocol for staining guard cells in leaves of
saltbush, Atriplex polycarpa. We want to measure stomatal density. The
problem is that these leaves are very small (ca. 1-2 cm long) and the
stomata are sunken into the leaf surface. We can clear the leaf and now
need something which will stain just the guard cells so that we can spot
them easily. Thanks for any help or leads.

Sam

Samuel M. Scheiner
Dept. of Life Sciences (2352)   P.O. Box 37100
Arizona State University West   Phoenix, AZ 85069
Tel: 602-543-6934               Fax: 602-543-6073
E-mail: sam.scheiner at asu.edu
http://lsvl.la.asu.edu/botany/faculty/scheiner.html