unknown plant

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Apr 22 13:27:13 EST 1998

In article <6hl69e$9af$1 at columbine.singnet.com.sg>,
Erwin Chan <gsus_saves at cheerful.com> wrote:
>recently I saw a cactus which is able to grow on a plant.  it was quite a
>sight.  I was hoping to find out the names of the cactus and the plants and
>why they are able to grow on each other.  it seems to come from from china.

You may be referring to grafted cacti, where a vertical stock is used
to support usually a non-photosynthesizing mutant with red or yellow
color.  These are produced by the zillion in southeast Asia for the
houseplant or gift plant trade, often under the name of Chinese Moon
Cactus or some such.  I can't remember the name of the stock, but the
top is often a red or purple mutant Gymnocalycium, I think.

Cacti are very easily grafted, and you can do some bizarre things with
them.  On the windowsill of a store I pass by occasionally, someone has
taken a long piece of whichever cactus is used as stock above, cut
diagonal slits in it, up down and around and grafted pieces of christmas
cactus (Schlumbergera) in each slit.  Looks something like a limp Christmas
tree, and when in bloom with many colors of flower is almost too gaudy
to look at!