Wild Leek/Garlic

Ivan Hrg Jr. ac717 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Fri Apr 24 14:32:40 EST 1998

  I have a few questions concerning this plant which comes up in spring in
hardwood forests. I'm not sure which is correct, but around here (eastern
Ontario) people refer to it as either wild leek or garlic. As some of you
may know, this is a fantastic tasting plant.  I have some very nice
patches of it growing in the maple bush where I live, and many friends
have expressed interest in picking some. I am concerned about the plants
ability to replenish itself - some people claim that if you pick at the
edges of the patches, then it will `fill in' the space next year. I don't
really know if this is true or not. I have picked some in the past, but
have never noticed if it grows back easily. With so many people asking to
pick the plant, i'd like to be sure that no damage is done. I have heard
that it is illegal to pick this plant in the province of Quebec - due to
overharvesting.

  Does anyone out there know anything about this plant? Can it handle some
moderate harvesting?

Regards,

Ivan