Wild Leek/Garlic

Scott Ranger ranger at america.net
Tue Apr 28 11:01:29 EST 1998

You are probably enjoying RAMPS, Allium tricoccum, an Appalachian
delicacy. I spent last week in the Great Smoky Mountains and enjoyed
them immensely.  I used to worry about ramps being overharvested, but
one cove I visit each spring seems to have more than ever, even with
lots of harvesting.

If you have a "private" patch, I'd suggest not harvesting more than 2/3
of the available ramps in any given year, and if that much, give a
couple of years time before harvesting that many again.

Ramps are known as the sweetest tasting but the foulest smelling of all
the onions. If in a group, woe to the one who doesn't partake!

Scott Ranger