Do Plants generate heat???

Scott McPhee hyphae at msn.com
Tue Apr 28 01:05:33 EST 1998

I noticed while taking Amtrak through the Southern Cascades in Oregon a
couple weeks back that the snow melted in a circle around the base of
plants. Where there were no plants there was solid snow, but it had been
melted around the bases. I was wondering if the roots may have produced
enough heat to melt the snow, or if the movement of the stem in the wind
initiated the circle around the plant, letting the sunlight hit the ground
which heated it up and melted snow outwards???! I'm grasping at straws here,
please help.

Scott Mcphee