Venus Fly Trap

Stefan Sehnbruch Stefan.Sehnbruch at t-online.de
Wed Apr 29 18:08:10 EST 1998

Jill schrieb:

> I have 2 questions about the Venus Fly Trap.
>
> 1- Is North Carolina the only state in the U.S. where they grow wild?
>
> 2- Can the Flytrap actually live without flies for a prolonged period- can
> they live off of sunlight alone? (In other words, would one survive indoors
> as a houseplant in a bug free environment?)
>
> My niece asked me, and I don't know what to tell her and havent found any
> info elsewhere...

-1-
I've never been to the USA but I think (I got that info from several
Carnivorous Plant Books) it even grows in South Carolina.
Unfortunately all natural habitats are said to be endangered very much,
so think twice if it is really neccessary to visit these places

-2-
In my personal experience VFTs can live for several months (maybe even
years??) without any food. They should not even need to be fertilized.
If you feed the plants with 2 or 3 houseflies or bugs you will have
strong plants for years.
Just keep in mind that VFTs (as well as most other CPs) need a very high
light intensity and a high air humidity (at least 50-60% r.H)
Finally a little hint: The number of trap movements is limited. You can
stimulate a closure of the leaves up to 6 or even 10 times. After that,
the leaf will die.
If you need further infos, you can try http://www.gfp.org

Regards

--
Stefan Sehnbruch
Gelsenkirchen, Germany

--- Experience is quite useful,
--- normally you have it a short time after you needed it !