What is this plant?

Suzq and Sugar Ray jannabo at bwave.com
Mon Aug 24 09:05:40 EST 1998

My grandmother called this plant a violet jewel berry bush, but I'm
wondering if it has another name.  I have not been able to find this
particular plant in any of my books  and I would really like to know more
about it.  It's a bush with thin branches.  The one inch leaves are in pairs
and  slightly serrated.   Small bunches of green berries  develop at each
pair of leaves.  The berries turn purple in late summer.  This plant is
beautiful; I would like to know if some one else is familiar with it and if
it has another name.