my fern is dying

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Tue Dec 15 09:02:48 EST 1998

Most ferns do not like tap water and are at least a little salt-sensitive.
Water your plant.  Is the water that comes out brown?  Too much salt.  Try
distilled, deionized, or reverse-osmosis water instead.  Rainwater is usually
all right if you can get it, unless you live in an acid-rain area.

Grooming the dead material will not hurt.  As for brown new shoots, it's
important to distinguish between "dead brown" and "brown covered with little
scaly leaves."  Many ferns have new shoots covered with protective, papery
scales.  (Not to be confused with scale insects, which ferns get like crazy;
those are little round dots or humps that are NOT in regular patterns on the
undersides of the leaves.  Those are usually spores!)

Monique Reed