Rhamnus cathartica (European Buckthorn)

Leslie llcollins at ivory.trentu.ca
Sun Feb 1 16:06:48 EST 1998

>R. frangula has a new name.  Its Frangula alnus now and has been
>since at least 1955.  Its common name in Europe is also Alder
>Buckthorn, though of course its leaves are glossy.

Just a quick note: I know that it also goes by that name, however, in
Canada most people that know of its name at all call it Rhamnus frangula.
In fact, in Shrubs of Ontario, put out by the ROM, it is referred to as R.
frangula. I ordinarily wouldn't have even responded, but the remark sounded
a tad bit condescending (as words on a screen often can), and I decided to
stick up for myself. :)

Good day.

Leslie