Cigarette Smoke Effects On Plants?

f.vd.laan at ^inter.nl.net f.vd.laan at ^inter.nl.net
Sat Feb 7 10:52:28 EST 1998

In article <01bd2ccb$df4a1780$1f621e82 at oemcomputer>, "Ken Wolfe" <wolfe at intellistar.net> says:

>When I was in high school my science project was to see the effects of cigs
>on plant growth.  The plants were kept in a terrarium type structure.  One
>terrarium had cig smoke blown in twice a day the other had just regular
>air.  Initially the plants receiving the tobacco smoke grew faster.
>However, after a few weeks they stopped growing and the others grew larger
>and seemingly healthier.
>
>No hypothesis as to why just empirical evidence that concentrated smoke
>damaged the plants.

This answer raises questions.
Could the initial extra growth have been caused by the surplus CO2 from the
smoke??
Is there any research done to what stopped the growth of the plants?

Frits v/d Laan
Organic horticulture
Gouda NL