Juniper: Strange growths

Rich Byrne richb at ag-risk.org
Wed Feb 11 15:07:01 EST 1998

I live in Kansas City, and I have some tall ornamental junipers in my yard
that are sporting some very strange looking growths.  These plants produce
berries about 5 mm in diameter, and gray in color.  The growths occur in the
same kinds of places that berries grow, but these things get as big as 25 mm
in diameter, completely envelop the branch, and appear brown with light
brown polka dots.  The growths occur singly and are hard and fibrous, and
green and white inside.   When I break off a branch with a growth, the
growth becomes spongy within a couple days as it loses its water.

I don't see these things on the short junipers in the same location.

Any clues as to what these things are and what I should do about them would
be appreciated.

-rb
--
alt.my.opinion.exists.!exists.exists!