Ginkgo biloba seeds

Matthias Klein unc805 at ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de
Wed Feb 11 18:10:38 EST 1998

Hi,

I've got another question concerning seeds of Ginkgo - thanks to all who
answered my last questions.

The "nut" inside the sklerotesta is build of the gametophytes or the
embryo, respectively. The colour is green - and this is the question:
Does anybody know, why this tissue is green. To my opinion, there should
not be too many chloroplasts - or am I wrong?
A general qustion: In which developmental stage are cloroplasts in an
embryo or a gametophyt? Are they fully developed? And why should a plant
store a great number of chloroplasts in a seed?

Please send suggestions or answers to: MKlein at uni-bonn.de

Thanks in advance
Matthias
--