Plumeria Cutting wanted

mystic mystic at lcc.net
Mon Feb 16 04:42:35 EST 1998

clare at msn.com wrote:

> Please let me know where I can obtain a Plumeria cutting, preferably by
> mail. clare at msn.com
Hi,
There are upteen tropicals mail-orders.  Look in the back of a Southern
Living magazine, or in Horticulture magazine.  Better yet, go to a place
that has a plumeria and ask for a piece.  Bits as small as 8" long will
root.  This is an easy tropical -- feed and water it like mad during the
summer, and then strip the leaves off and dig it up come autumn, or when
it gets into the 50's.  Stick the roots and all into damp mulch and put
the whole thing into a corner somewhere until March.  Then just replant
it and fertilize/water all over again.  The cuttings are treated almost
like cactus cuttings -- they're sappy, and should heal over a day or two
before you plant them.  Don't overwater while they're rooting, or
they'll rot.  The roots are shallow, too, so beware of getting a cutting
that's too long.  I have a friend who's got quite a collection of the
things -- all of which he obtained when pieces of arboretum plants 'just
broke off in his hand, accidentally'.  If you want something easy, I
have some white and some yellow.  Send me your address, and I'll send
one off to you in the mail.  By the time it gets there, it will be ready
to plant.
How tough are they?  One year, I cut a two foot length off mine so that
it wouldn't be so unhandy to move.  It was late in the year, and I
decided to just leave the piece laying on the ground outside.  It sat
there all winter, during light freezes and plenty of dry wind.  Come
spring, my daughter noticed that it didn't seem to be dead.  What the
heck.  I told her to plant the thing.  It bloomed on all tips that year.
Go figure.
mystic at lcc.net