Ferns, fertilization

Richard Blucher blucher at bellatlantic.net
Thu Feb 19 18:52:25 EST 1998

Following up on a previous question/answer about ferns, I would

appreciate if someone could give me some help with two additional

question on the same subject:

1) Since the male and the female gametes of the fern develop on the

underside of the gametophyte, is it a necessary condition for the

successful travel of the male gamete that there is water to fill the

void between it and the ground, or at least that the water is high

enough at the female gamete to allow it to make contact?

2) If the male gamete is in fact 'dumped' into the 'sea' beneath it, is

its approach to the female gamete a random swim or is it attracted

specifically to the female gamete?

Thanks

          Richard Blucher