Can anyone identify this plant?

Colin Will colin.will at virgin.net
Fri Feb 20 14:27:39 EST 1998

Micheál Glennon wrote:

> There's this weird six foot plant that has grown out of nowhere just
> outside my Uncle's house in the west of Ireland. I was wondering if anyone
> here could identify it. I have put pictures up at
> http://indigo.ie/~dglennon/thing.html
> If you have any ideas what it might be, let me know.
>
> Micheal

Can't be too definite, but it looks like a Mullein (Verbascum spp.,
possibly Verbascum thapsus). I take it this was flowering last summer?
Common names for V. thapsus include Aaron's rod, common mullein,
flannel-plant, hag-taper. It's a biennial, producing its flower spike in
the second year. Tends to like dry spaces with good drainage. That's if
I'm right about the ident.

Colin Will
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
(c.will at rbge.org.uk)