Spartina patens

D.Garcia b380 at cpca6.uea.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 14:50:22 EST 1998

	Hello. I'm a postgrad student in the UK and I want to get
information about a species of Spartina that grows along the East Coast
of North America, from Canada to Texas as well as in some parts of Mexico
and the Caribbean Sea islands.
	As far as I know, the name for this species is Spartina patens
(Aiton) Muhl., but I have some old bibliographic references saying this is
a very variable species, so that there are big differences between
northern populations (Canada and northern East Coasts of the USA) and
those from the south, where there is a much stronger life form (Caribbean
and S-SE coasts of the USA, as well as some places on the atlantic coast
of Mexico and Mesoamerica). Some taxonomists used to consider them as
different varieties, but some others didn't.

	I would be very interested in contacting people working (or having
worked in the past) in any aspects of the ecology of the "SOUTHERN FORM"
of this plant, as well as in its ecological and/or genetical variability.
I am also interested in getting information about other places in which
this species has been recorded as an introduced, outside those cited above.

	Please, if you have any addresses of people (USA, Mexico,
Caribbean or wherever) or research centers that could be useful for me, I
should be so grateful if you send them to my email address (as well as to
the newsgroup if you want), since I'm not subscribed to this newsgroup.

	Thank you very much in advance

D.Garcia
School of Biological Sciences
 Population Biology Sector