Natural bioluminescence

Stuart Worboys sci-sjw2 at jcu.edu.au
Wed Jan 7 21:24:41 EST 1998

Hi,

I'm writing from Cairns, Australia, with rainforest more or less on my
back doorstep.  If you head out into these rainforests at night during the
wet season, as well as picking up a few hungry leeches, you will
invariably see bioluminescent fungi.  Most frequently you only see the
glowing mycelium, which enclose fallen leaves and branches in a faintly
ghostly light, but if you're lucky, you'll actually see the mushroom
itself.  After the blackness of the forest, these fungi are actually quite
bright.  Perhaps the light serves to attract insects which disperse the
spores???