Tree weights

John Brown johnb at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jan 14 06:35:15 EST 1998

In article <69h1ij$lv1$1 at agate.berkeley.edu>, Al Stangenberger
<URL:mailto:forags at nature.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> When you start translating raw weights into nutrient storage, it is essential
> to use oven-dry weight since the results of chemical analyses are always
> reported on an oven-dry basis.

That may be but I'd hate to be weighed by a weighing machine that oven-dried
me before giving an analysis! (Is that what these fancy and expensive new
public machines do?)

Seriously, however, the original enquiry as do many in this newsgroup,
probably came from a non-scientist who wanted to know weight as in "living
things". No one should gainsay that, scientifically, dry weights are
probably better than fresh weights (has that term changed to green weight
[for timber??] since my retirement?) even if not fully perfect and not
ALWAYS used, as indicated by some of the many other unit-expressions* from
time to time but to non-scientists such matters can be tediously pedantic.

*Experience shows that for every reference unit there is at least one person
somewhere in the world who has valid reasons for rejecting it in their work.

--
J.M.A. Brown