[Q] Wild Rice a Rice or another type of Grass?

helen.turner at nri.org helen.turner at nri.org
Mon Jul 20 07:32:45 EST 1998

In article <Ilys1.1112$3r.1504876 at newsfeed.slurp.net>,
  "Brian Noel" <bnoel at harbornet.com> wrote:
> Someone told me that the wild rice that you buy in stores is actually not
> rice at all but a type of grass.  I thought rice is a type of grass.  Is
> wild rice a rice or another type of grass?

Rice is a member of the grass family (Graminaceae), like wheat, rye, barley
etc.  The rice genus (Oryza) has a number of species, although the primary
cultivated species is O. sativa.  However, other, closely-related species are
sometimes grown, or even used to help improve current cultivars through
hybridisation.

Helen.