Artificial plant light

Jeffrey Kirby ez043438 at dilbert.ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 22 11:06:19 EST 1998

Yiing Lin (liny at medicine.wustl.edu) wrote:
: I'm not sure what the spectral composititon of "black light" bulbs are,

They are supposed to be higher in the UV(-B, I think) range and not very
good for growing plants.

: but I was wondering if it would be possible to do something like use a
: halogen light bulb (heavy on the red side of the spectrum) and a black
: light bulb (for the blue-violet side) to grow plants indoors?

If you want to grow indoors, fluorescent or high-intensity discharge (HID)
lights are more effective. For the fluorescents, most people say cool
whites are just as good as plant lights or sun spectrum lights (I grow
under a combo of cool whites and either warm whites or sun spec so the
color is a little easier on my eyes). HID lights are available from a
variety of garden/indoor plant suppliers and hydroponics suppliers and
include several types, including HPS (high pressure sodium) and metal
halide lights as well as some others.

-j

        Jeffrey A. Kirby                         jakirby at ucdavis.edu