Diviners Sage (Salvia divinorum)

Craig Simpson craigs at visualperspectives.com
Thu Jul 23 17:07:26 EST 1998

Diviners Sage (Salvia divinorum)

I have a Diviners Sage (Salvia divinorum). That is what I know to call
it. Does anyone
Else have one of these? I am looking for people to talk to about this
Salvia and others.

I am wondering about care for this one. I collect Sages. This one likes
shade and a lot of water.
About 30 percent Perlite.

What mixture of soil has anyone had good luck with out there growing
sage in pots?

Here is a little blurb about the Sage from www.linglesherbs.com where I
got it.

Very Rare! This is a plant to be revered. It was
identified and named only in 1962, but has probably
been used for thousands of years by the various
cultures of Mexico. It is know as hojas de la
Pastora ("leaves of the shepherdess"), and Salvia
of the seers. Today, the plant is familiar to all
Mazatec Indians, and many, if not most, families
grow a supply. It is used by the Latin American
curnaderos [healers], who give the leaves to their
patients. The patient then goes into a ‘trance’, and
communicates to the curandero, who listens
attentively, what ails them. Diviner’s sage is a
fascinating plant, and the only psychoactive sage
we know of. It is of little use recreationally, and
you’d probably get some really bad karma if you
tried! As we said, this is a plant to be revered.

Love to hear back from anyone.

Craig