chinese cabbage

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Jul 29 15:14:03 EST 1998

In article <114CB88BCCFBD111A5E4006008723A89062E69 at CAMEXC01>,
Koen Hellendoorn <hellendoornk at axisgenetics.co.uk> wrote:

>For the research I'm doing I need chinese cabbage plants. We have
>several varieties (Granaat, Wong Bok, Pak Choi) growing in our
>environmetal rooms. Can anybody tell me how I can get them flowering and
>what is the best way to produce seeds?

Gee, people usually ask the opposite question, how to get a vegetable out
of these plants before they bolt to seed!

Long days will make them bolt.  Ditto, drought or almost any kind of
shock, e.g. transplanting from flats or some really cold nights.  They
are insect pollinated, and readily cross with each other.  You can get
an awful lot of seed from a few plants.  It's easy to hand harvest -
hang the plants upside down to dry, crumble the seed pods in your hands,
strain and winnow.

I'm at 43 degrees north latitude and can't get a spring sown crop without
a lot of hassle, so I grow them as a fall crop.