Patchouly Growing Conditions

David Parsons david.parsons at psianx1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 11:33:52 EST 1998

In article <Pine.SGI.3.96.980530223547.29806A-100000 at umbc10.umbc.edu>,
luther wike <lwike1 at gl.umbc.edu> writes

>       I recently aquired a 6" patchouly plant from a Maryland herb
>grower.  I have looked every where for its growing condition, but I have
>not found anything about the plant.
>       Does anyone know the region patchouly is indigenous to?
>       What is its growing condition?
>Thanks for the info!
>Luther Wike

The true patchouli Pogostemo cablin is indigenous to the Phillipines, it
is commercially grown in Malaysisa, Indonesia and India.

The crop requires a humid warm climate with an even distribution of
rainfall of 2,000 - 3,500 mm per annum. Mean temperatures between 24 -
30 C.

It is a herbaceous perennial propagated by internodal cuttings either
planted directly into field or initially raised in nurseries. In India
the optimum planting time is April - June. To produce the oil we will
take a cut 6 - 7 months after planting when the plant is 75 -100 cm in
height.

The economic crop life is three years.

David Parsons
High Value Horticulture Ltd,