Tim Baker aarbatim at
Mon Jun 8 06:08:53 EST 1998

I am not aware of Ginkgo producing any special insecticidal or fungicidal
compounds that protect it any more than other trees. Anatomically, the
thick waxy leaves aren't particularly attractive to insects, and it is
hard for fungal spores to settle and germinate on a waxy leaf.

Ginkgo biloba is a living fossil from a remote area of China. It was only
discovered and spread to Europe and North America in the last 100 years,
and even then mostly in very recent time.  I suspect that because it is so
primitive, most of the pests (fungi/ insect/ others) from outside its
native zone have evolved and are now unable to attack an ancestor of the
plants they are adapted to. It is likely there are Ginkgo pests in

Incidentally, the Gingko trees planted today are almost all male. They are
taken as suckers from sexed adult plants. This is because the fruit
produced by female plants produces a very pungent odour...

Tim Baker (aarbatim at   *    ____                      *
Crop Protection Research Unit,       *   /    \                     *
Department of Agriculture,           *  | o  o | Who else remembers *
Earley Gate,                         *  |      |      PAC MAN?      *
Reading,    RG6 6AT,    UK.          *  |/\/\/\|                    *