Scaevola aemula

Andreas Matern alm13 at
Tue Jun 9 15:02:52 EST 1998

Here's what I found out about Scaevola:

There's a picture of one here:

Scaevola is a tropical perennial that is treated as a summer annual. It
can be used as a seasonal groundcover or in a hanging basket. The flower
is fan shaped and blue to purple in color. The flowering is continuous
throughout the growing season. The stem is moderately thick, almost
succulent-like. Scaevola  sprawls out in a round or oval shape 2'-3'
across and  2'-4' high. Scaevola requires well drained soil and full sun.
It is heat tolerant and moderately drought tolerant. The pH is adaptable
to different soils. It can  rot in wet, poorly drained sights. Scaevola is
becoming more widely available in US markets.

> Scaevola L. sect. Scaevola
> Scaevola sect. Sarcocarpa G.Don, Gen. Hist. 3: 727 (1834); Scaevola sect.
> Sarcocarpeae DC., Prodr. 508 (1839), orth. var. T: S.
> plumieri (L.) M.Vahl; lecto, fide R.C.Carolin, Telopea 3: 489 (1990).
> Scaevola sect. Crossotoma G.Don, Gen. Hist. 3: 730 (1834); Crossotoma
> (G.Don) Spach, Hist. Nat. Vég. 9: 583 (1840). T: S.
> spinescens R.Br.; lecto, fide R.C.Carolin, Telopea 3: 489 (1990).
> Scaevola sect. Phacelophyllum K.Krause, Pflanzenr. 54: 118 (1912). T: S.
> haianensis Hance
> Mostly shrubs or small trees; inflorescence axis continuing vegetative
> growth after flowering. Leaves alternate, often large. Flowers
> pedunculate in axillary cymes or racemes, or solitary in leaf axils;
> bracts leaf- like; bracteoles usually small; pedicel obsolete or to 12 mm
> long.
> Corolla white to pale lilac or brownish (red and yellow in some
> non-Australian species); barbulae various. Anthers glabrous at tip. Ovary
> 2-locular; indusium with scattered hairs or glabrous on adaxial surface.
> Fruit with mesocarp ±fleshy or corky; endocarp with 2 fertile locules
> and often 2 sterile cavities.
> This section contains c. 24 species, mostly occurring in tropical and
> subtropical areas of the Pacific; 6 species are found in Australia, 5
> endemic and 1 common in strand communities throughout the tropical areas
> of the Indo-Pacific region including Christmas Is. and the Cocos
> (Keeling) Is.

There's a reference to Scaevola here:

In article <1998060418371379939 at>, E Charles Nelson
<tippitiwitchet at> wrote:

> The message <6l4b1p$qju at>
>   from  Christoph Metelmann <chandvel at> contains these words:
> > Hi,
> > yes, thats what the sign says.  But I cant find out what the English
name is, nor to which family it belongs.
> > Thank for the help
> > Chris
> Tis is an Australian plant in the family Goodeniaceae. It is sometime
> called the fairy fan flower.
> If you need information there is an entry in the RHS A-Z
> encyclopaedia of garden plants.
> --
> Dr Charles Nelson
> Tippitiwitchet Cottage, Hall Road, OUTWELL PE14 8PE, Wisbech, UK
> tel [+ 44] 01945 773057. fax [+ 44] 1945 774077
> e-mail tippitiwitchet at

Andreas Matern

alm13 at
266 Emerson Hall