Peppers//poison?

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Jun 12 16:39:40 EST 1998

In article <01bd9633$d80ef7c0$f20f6520 at jill-s-computer>,
Annie <felliniesque at hotmail.com> wrote:

Annie, you will get more and better answers to your questions about
growing house and garden plants if you ask them on a rec.gardens group.
People there are experienced with growing all kinds of plants.  This
group (bionet.plants) is intended for plant scientists, not gardeners.

>Someone into alternative health//naturopathy//diet told me that people who
>want a really pure diet shouldn't eat any kind of peppers- bell, jalapeno,
>banana, etc. Apparently these can mess up the harmony of the body systems-
>apparently, peppers are in the same family -- nightshade??-- as poisonous
>plants? Is this true?

So are tomatoes and potatoes and eggplants and that natural herb tobacco.
Petunias, too.  As far as harmony of body systems, this is a religious
matter, not a scientific one.  You'll have to talk to the naturopaths about
these beliefs.

>Of course, I LOVE peppers, and natural health or no, I will continue to eat
>them. I'm not under the impression that peppers themselves are harmful,
>just more like preservatives: you should avoid them, if you want a strict
>and optimal diet...anyone have more info on the family?

Hot peppers contain a substance that kills intestinal worms.  Red peppers
are high in vitamins A and C.  Consult the naturopaths and similar alternative
types to find a food religion you would like to follow.