Indoor Ficus//Yellow Fungus

Annie felliniesque at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:25:22 EST 1998

I have an indoor ficus tree- it's about 5 feet tall, in a 12-inch planter.
It's growing wonderfully in the time that I have had it...lots of leaves,
deep green color, etc.

But, ever since I started using a water soluble fertilizer- 20-20-20 -
several weeks ago, there has been a strange, yellow something growing up
out of the soil.It's the solid color of a yellow crayon, and it looks as
though it has a spongelike texture. By the time I scrape it out, it is
about one inch high, and in thick bunches all over the soil. It keeps
sprouting back up. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a fungus? Can it
harm my tree or is it toxic, unsafe?? What is the scientific name? More
importantly- what should I do, should I buy some kind of fungicide? Any
info appreciated..