tissue cloning

charles clopton cclopton at webtv.net
Thu Mar 5 03:49:34 EST 1998

I don't remember the technical name for this process but I think it's
used to propagate some plants such as orchids and I know that one of the
big rose firms (Armstrong?) has used this method to create rose plants
which grown on their own roots. Good vigor and no suckers.
Could someone explain why some plants are suitable for this method and
others not? I know that theoretically all living things can be
reproduced with one cell.Just look at Dolly the sheep.
 We in the San Fernando Valley,CA lost an ancient oak which had been
babied for the last few years only to have the heavy rains of El Nino
make the tree so topheavy it uprooted itself. I spoke to a Mr. Kennedy(I
think that's his name) who's LA's main tree guy and suggested cell
cloning and he said that he had done work along those lines but that
oaks were poor candidates. Sorry to go on so long but we were all pretty
sentimental about that old tree.

Thanks,
                  Charles Clopton