Arugula

m.lee mikaline at netcom.com
Sat Mar 7 02:47:21 EST 1998

CMB (cmbrandt at swbell.net) wrote:

| Your help is appreciated in answering the following questions.
| Is the botanical name for Italian Arugula Arugula selvatica? What then
| is Eruca sativa?
| Many thanks for your reply to the above address.
| CMBRANDT

It's been Eruca sativa since THE HERBAL ... originally Brassica Eruca L.
Arugula is the Italian common name for the French common name Roquette for
the English common name Rocket-salad for the German common name Rauke for
the Flemish common name Krapkool for the Spanish common name Jaramago.  The
Italian common name is also rendered Rucola and Ruchetta, just to make
life more interesting.

Then there's Sea Rocket, Cakile maritima; American Sea Rocket, Cakile
edentula; Corn Rocket, Bunias erucago; Turkish Rocket, Bunias orietalis;
Yellow Rocket, Barbarea vulgaris; Dame's Rocket, Hesperis matronalis.
But NO member of my Brassicas list has the specific epithet "selvatica."

I've never seen Arugula selvatica mentioned ... that would mean "swiss" if
I remember my botanical Latin.  Where did you see it?

ml, off to raid the refrigerator