Student Needs Help with Tissue Culture

Jim Kami jakami at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 12 11:59:40 EST 1998

Plant tissue culture is a nice project in that it requires little in the
way of "specilized equipment" outside of a way to maintain a sterile
workplace and good sterile technique. I have seen a large number of
unique and inovative setups to do this. There are also a large number of
books that reference this type of work, I've been told "Plants from Test
Tubes" is a good starting point. You might want to subscribe to the
plant tissue culture list-serv disscusion group. This can be accessed
through <plant-tc at tc.umn.edu> or try www.liszt.com to search for related
groups and find more detailed subscription instructions. I can say from
experiance that the group is a very friendly, helpful assocication and
have assisted in several other high school projects. There are also a
few web sites that might be useful to get you started;
http://www.agro.agri.umn.edu/plant-tc/
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tisscult/tcintro.html
http://www.pbi.nrc.ca/pbiintro.html

Good Luck,