image analysis system selection

David Brown dbrown at OA.PTLOMA.EDU
Tue Mar 17 15:59:23 EST 1998

Note:  this is cross posted to biolab and plant-ed

PlantBio,
        An image analysis system will be purchased. I need help
to pick the best available system. I have located:

        1) Freeware Mac based NIH Image from the NIH Internet site
                http://rsb.info.nih.gov/nih-image/

        2) The "CIAS" series up to CI-400 from CID Inc.
                out of Moscow, Idaho USA

and   3) WinDIAS system from Delta-T Devices
                distributed by Dynamax out of Houston, TX  USA

        Color plant and animal tissue images analysis to give area,
optical density, and flexibility to determine some future unknown
factors are wanted. Data printouts used in publishing are needed.

QUESTIONS
        Do you know of other computer output image analysis systems?

        Do you have good or bad experiences with any of these above?

        Have you compared two or more of the above systems? What
                is your opinion?

        Do you know of published comparisons of image analysis systems?

        Please offer advice if you know about or have used
image analysis systems. I could use your help!

        Thanks,
        David