Q: Tree species for different climents

mystic mystic at lcc.net
Wed Mar 18 01:20:53 EST 1998

Mitch wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can find about tree species for different
> climents. I live in Northern Ontario and am looking for something hardy and
> leafy.
> --
> Thanks, Mitch
> _____________________
>
> mpkeenan at sympatico.ca

Try Simon & Schuster's Guide to Trees -- Hasting's had it, last I
checked.  Some of the Siberian species do pretty well in Canada, last
I checked.  Pea-shrub is nice -- and doesn't get too big.  Leafy and
hardy, though, usually don't go together.  A broadleaf is awfully
susceptible to freeze -- all that surface area on the leaves, you see.
That's why most natural forests in the far north tend to be conifers.
The leaves (needles) are well adapted to extreme cold.  Take a look
'round your local wild habitats, see if there are any leafy trees that
seem to grow well, and take a specimen in to your local nurseryman for
him/her to identify.  Some wild species may have been domesticated for
the nursery trade, and their better qualities emphasized.  Good luck.

Appleman