Tree climbing vines with tendrals.

Studio25 Studio25 at PacBell.net
Sat Mar 21 21:29:43 EST 1998

This is the second time I've tried to email my question.  I looked for
the last one but never saw it posted.  Anyway, on today's hike I came
upon several vines climbing through the trees.  The leaves looked like
perhaps grape leaves.  The vines had tendrals to cling onto the
branches of the trees.  The vines had a fruit which is slightly larger
than kiwi fruit yet a similar shape.  The outside of the fruit is
green with spines or  thorns sticking out all over.  The thorns are
hard and easy to prick you.  Is this an edible fruit and what is the
vine?

Thanks in advance.

Steven Vollom